Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Turkey Hunting Kit:Getting Ready for the Hunt

Obviously, if you read this blog than you know that I am an avid hunter and outdoors man. I love to be out in the field so to speak, hunting for birds and game and observing nature. Yesterday I mentioned that I am preparing for my Fall turkey hunt and I mentioned some safety precautions to take that are recommended by the Wisconsin DNR. Today, I want to talk about what to take on your hunt!



I think if this is your first time hunting a bare bones kit would include the following:

* gun or bow
* ammunition and arrows
* Turkey tag and license
* Good camouflage outfit
* An orange Hat
* turkey call

An upgrade and what I take is the following:

* Gun or bow
* Ammo/arrows
* tag and license 
* Good camo is KEY!
* Orange Hat for walking back and forth to stand (for safety)
* An excellent padded vest that has room for several calls, a pouch in the back to carry your bird once you get him, and a padded rear to sit on. That way you do not need to carry an extra piece of equipment.
* bug spray
* head net
* gloves
* Thermos of coffee or water
* Fanny pack with the following: snacks, and sandwiches, water, a flashlight, a multi tool , knife, and a means of communication, i.e, two way radio or phone. Also, toilet paper and a compass.

As ALWAYS remember safety first. Make sure that you let people know where you are hunting. Always bring a phone or a means of communication in case of an accident. If you are out at dusk or in the early evening, bring a flashlight! 



If you need any gear for your hunt such as knife holders, multi-tool holders and flashlight holders please contact Stallion Leather at our web page using the link above or call 414-764-7126.




Let me say that this is by know means a comprehensive list, this is just my suggestion and what I personally bring along on the hunt. If you have some suggestions or something that I forgot I would love to hear about them. 


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment